Fox News executives who decided the network would be better off without Tucker Carlson may have just started an exodus of other top talent, especially as the channel continues to bleed viewers.
According to insider sources, Tucker Carlson reportedly had a conversation with a board member of Fox Corp. on April 26. During this conversation, the board member disclosed that Carlson’s temporary suspension was a requirement included in Fox News’ settlement with Dominion Voting Systems, as reported by Variety.
While this specific condition was not officially documented in the settlement agreement, it is alleged to have been communicated verbally. It is noteworthy that Fox’s compliance with this demand was of utmost importance, as the closure of the settlement relied on their adherence to it, the report said.
Insiders familiar with the situation suggest that Dominion Voting Systems seemed determined to inflict significant harm on the conservative news network by severing its association with its most popular cable news personality. By taking this action, Dominion aimed to deal a severe blow that would potentially lead to a substantial loss of viewers for the network. Their intention was to create a significant loss of viewership, according to these sources.
“That condition was intended to hurt Fox, and Tucker is just collateral damage,” stated a source with knowledge of the situation. “Dominion wanted to punish Fox, and it’s working.” Fox’s ratings have taken a significant hit since Tucker was fired as well.
Both Fox and Dominion have denied this, but, Variety reported, it doesn’t matter.
Consequently, Carlson’s transition to Twitter has sparked curiosity among other Fox anchors, leading to reports of some reaching out to him directly or through intermediaries to express their interest in joining his endeavor once their contracts with Fox expire, Variety reported.
With that, there appears to be a growing interest and potential willingness among certain Fox anchors to explore new opportunities aligned with Carlson’s venture.
Carlson’s Twitter move could have additional reverberations with talent at the network. A handful of Fox anchors have reached out to Carlson directly or had their surrogates contact him to say they are eager to join whatever venture he starts on Twitter when their contracts are up, according to sources.
It’s not clear who at the network has allegedly reached out to him.
Earlier this month, Carlson intimated that he would be airing something new on the platform.
“There aren’t many platforms left that allow free speech. The last big one remaining in the world is Twitter,” Carlson said in his short monologue – in which he took a shot at Fox, saying, “If you bump up against the limits [in the news business] you will be fired for it.”
“The rule of what you can’t say defines everything,” he said, adding, “You can’t have a free society if people aren’t allowed to say what they think is true… There aren’t many platforms left that allow free speech. The last big one… is Twitter, where we are now.”
We’re back. pic.twitter.com/sG5t9gr60O
— Tucker Carlson (@TuckerCarlson) May 9, 2023
“Twitter has long served as the place where our national conversation incubates and develops,” he continued, noting further that other networks are “thinly disguised propaganda outlets.”
“You see it on cable news, you talk about it on Twitter,” said Carlson. “The result may feel like a debate, but actually, the gatekeepers are still in charge. We think that’s a bad system. We know exactly how it works and we’re sick of it.”
Carlson remains under contract with Fox News until January 2025, and it’s not clear if putting a show on Twitter will violate it.