Twitter users, many of whom were already upset over Elon Musk’s purchase of the company, now appear to have another reason to hate it.
BizPac Review reveals:
The Washington Post claims to have obtained corporate documents that show he told prospective investors in his $44 billion deal to buy the social media giant that he plans to boot three-quarters of its 7,500 workers.
The media is claiming that would leave a skeleton crew at Twitter of just under 2,000 employees, asserting that it would be hard to keep the company afloat at that point. They also ridiculously claim it would make it hard to tamp down on “misinformation.” Musk’s goal is to restore free speech, not further censorship.
“Twitter’s workforce is likely to be hit with massive cuts in the coming months, no matter who owns the company, interviews and documents obtained by The Washington Post show, a change likely to have major impact on its ability to control harmful content and prevent data security crises,” the paper noted.
NEW: Elon Musk said he would cut nearly 75 percent of Twitter's staff if he takes control, far deeper cuts than the company's current leadership has proposed. The initial cuts would target lower performers, who scored less than a 3 on performance reviews. https://t.co/xcd8nQdw15
— Faiz Siddiqui (@faizsays) October 20, 2022
“Human resources staff at the social media company have told employees that they were not planning for mass layoffs, but documents showed extensive plans to push out staff and cut down on infrastructure costs were already in place before Musk offered to buy the company,” the New York Post reported as well, citing WaPo.
The news comes after Musk, earlier this year, attempted to back out of the $44 billion deal after accusing Twitter of not being truthful about the number of bot accounts on the platform.
He reversed course earlier this month and said he planned to pursue the deal as originally offered.